Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 08:40:42 -0700
From:      "Brian D. McGrew" <brian@visionpro.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   YP Passwords

Greets,

        I'm using FreeBSD-3.1 RELEASE.  I setup my server as a
ypserver.  Everything seemed to go smoothly.  From the server 'bigguy',
I can ypcat all the map files, and ypwhich says it's bound to it's self
'bigguy'.  After the setup, all my local user logins had been
COPIED from /etc/passwd to /var/yp/passwd.  This was a good thing..  So,
I removed all the local stuff from /etc/passwd.

        After that, I tried to login to the server as a local user
'brian', and got 'invalid login'.  I could still login as root, but none
of my local users could login.  I made sure that ypserv, ypbind and
rpc.yppasswdd were all running, but it did no good.  So, to get my local
users back, I had to put them back into /etc/passwd.

        I have two other workstations on my network.  One being a
FreeBSD-3.1 RELEASE box, and the other being a RedHat Linux-6.0 box.
Both of these are also setup for a nis client.  Both ypbind and
rpc.yppasswdd are running.  Again, I can ypcat all the map files and
they both say that they're bound to the server 'bigguy'.  But, I still
can not login as any of the users that are in /var/yp/passwd.

        I am certanly not the worlds expert on yp, but it seems like
either the server is not authenticating the password, or the user is not
being properly mapped.  Like I siad, I had to put all my local users
back into /etc/passwd on the server so we could login and email would
work.

        I run a ypserver at work on Solaris 7, and none of the user
logins are in /etc/passwd on the server.  Everything is in the
/var/yp/passwd; so I assumed that FreeBSD would be the same.  Am I
missing something?  What do I have to do to get YP to authenticate my
users; on the server as well as the workstations?

TIA,

--

        brian
        brian@visionpro.com     brian@kaffe-soft.com    pacemakertaker@yahoo.com