Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 22:15:32 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Jonas <jonas@netwood.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to over-ride DNS

--m972NQjnE83KvVa/

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:13:02PM -0700, Jonas wrote:
>=20
> We're going to move a site from one server to another. The website is
> using our SSL cert running on a 3rd server.=20
>=20
> When we change the DNS to point the domain name to the new server we
> will run into problems if the DNS for the SSL server isn't pointing to
> the new server immediately.=20
>=20
> Is it possible to enter the domain name in the host file or by some
> other means make sure that the SSL server points to the new server when
> the change occurs?

Not if you want the rest of the world to be able to use it.

If this is www.netwood.net that you're talking about, drop the TTL on the
A record to 1 minute about 36 hours before you're going to make the change,
and when you're sure it's working on the new IP address, push it back up
to 24 hours.

You'll see increased DNS traffic during that period, but at least everything
will work!

Ceri
--=20
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.
                                           -- www.chatterboxchallenge.com

--m972NQjnE83KvVa/

--m972NQjnE83KvVa/--