Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:54:33 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   swap_pager: indefinite link buffer device:

I had a machine die last night at around 2:01am.  That does *not*
correspond with any cron jobs.

When I got remote hands in front of it, this message was streaming on
the console (copied from what remote hands said verbally, the formatting
may be off):

swap_pager: indefinite link buffer device:#idad/0x20001,blkno:280,size:4096

Every console message said the same thing.

There are no errors in the system's log files.

The hardware is a dual PII 450Mhz Compaq 1850R with the Compaq SMART-2SL
array controller with a 3x4.5GB RAID 5 configuration.  It uses the ida
controller.

I have 5 other identical boxes in the same configuration, doing
different jobs, that have been working well for the past several months.
This is the lowest loaded of my 1850R boxes and has been working just
fine since it was put in production two months ago.

FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p7 #0: Thu Sep 18 15:06:09 EDT 2003 (huh, wonder how
that one got left behind.)

runs ipfw, ssh, postfix, mailman, and apache.

I see messages in the archives about:

   swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: blah blah

But nothing that matches the "indefinite link buffer" message.

And I just lost access to the box again.  This has a high probability of
being a hardware issue but I want to run it past the group just in case
it rings any bells for anyone.

lambert@lambertfam.org