Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 23:54:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device npx0 (was Re: your mail)

On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Ade Barkah wrote:

> > > This is the configuration of my kernel:
> > > my machine is a pentium 90 with a sound card can yuo help me?
> > > #
> > > #	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.46.2.6 1995/10/25 17:29:51 jkh Exp $
> >
> > Well, for one thing, the npx0 device is not optional, you _must_ put it
> > back in.  You don't have a choice on that.
>
> Maybe programs like config should check for non-optional devices
> and warn the user if any are missing.

Well, I don't know enough to fix this myself, but it really seems that
there shouldn't be _any_ non-optional things in config.  I don't see any
functional reason for it, except perhaps to test folks patience.  I think
that this was caused by a temporary mistake in the handbook ... and that
means we can expect a pretty steady flow of complaints on this, until the
info finally gets aged.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;