Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:39:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Pranav A. Desai" <pdesai1@cs.uh.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to use 'dd' to create image of a hard drive?

Hi !

	Thank you all for your prompt replies. You have said in your
replies that the bs parameter should be set appropriately. Is there a way
to find out appropriate block size, or any reasonable size should do, like
1k or 4k. I am asking because I tried it a few weeks ago and I was unable
to mount the new drive let alone boot from it. Mostly I must have done
something wrong.  I dont have access to another drive or else I could have
tried it again. Let me know if any block size will do or should it be
specific.

Thanks
-Pranav

Pranav A. Desai