Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:00:22 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor_K=F6vesd=E1n?= <gabor@kovesdan.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RFC: line numbered programlisting in HTML docs

Hi,

in the pdf version of the documentation we have rendered line wrap
indicators that show the reader when a long line has been wrapped into
multiple lines so that it can be rendered. In the HTML version we have
scrollable programlistings, which is not so smart since you may need to
scroll to read all of the code, which is not comfortable. Using line
wrap indicators in HTML is only possible with an ugly CSS trick but if
we number the lines, which in turn is quite easy, it becomes obvious
when a long line is wrapped. This is what I propose for programlisting
and screen elements. Also, line numbering is a useful feature in itself.

Demo: http://kovesdan.org/doc/proglist.html

Patch: http://kovesdan.org/patches/programlisting.diff

Any objection to this change?

Thanks,