Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 08:09:47 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 Questions

Jim Freeze wrote:

> > On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 04:29:14PM -0400, jfreeze@lexmark.com wrote:
> > > I have a few questions about XFree86. I have visited their site and
> > > looked for configuration documentation, but I have had no luck.
> > > I would be interested in answers to the following questions or
> > > pointers to docs so I may help myself.
> > >
> > > 1. How does one get scroll bars on the X windows? (is it possible?)
> >
> > It is a function of the window manager, not X itself.
>
> Me being a newbie, would you mind giving me another hint. :)
> I did the standard install with XFree86. When I run startx, I get a windowed
> environment. These windows do not have scroll bars. Is it possible
> to change some configuration option so they do? If so, then how?

The default window manager is twm. I *think* that the windows are
xterms. If so then hold down the Ctrl key and the middle mouse button,
on the pop-up menu there is an option ``Enable Scrollbar'', select it.

You might prefer another window manager (twm is a bit basic). Look in
the pacakges in the x11-wm section. I personally use olvwm because I
use a Sun at work, but from reading tese mailing lists Afterstep,
WindowMaker and KDE seem to be some of the most popular.