Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:56:20 -0500
From:      Billy Newsom <smartweb@leadhill.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.4 SMP kernels now available via FreeBSD Update

Colin Percival wrote:

 > It sounds like the SMP kernel I provided for FreeBSD 5.3 was quite
 > popular, so I've started building an SMP kernel for FreeBSD 5.4 as
 > well, in addition to the usual GENERIC kernel.  To take advantage

I'm curious how popular.  Would you like to report some statistics here
on the list?  As in, how many SMP downloads did you get, say, in
comparison to the GENERIC?  I wonder just how popular SMP has become.  I
ran dual Pentium 120s on a 430HX motherboard once a long time ago.  And
I know SMP goes farther back to at least the Pentium 60.  Back then, it
was pretty unusual, but I wonder what it's like now.

Thanks.

BTW, nice idea you've got.  I tried to use it back before you offered
SMP kernels and was disappointed.