Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:32:58 +0100
From:      Bartosz Stec <admin@kkip.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning DVD with files>4GB from console

David Kelly pisze:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 10:48:54AM +0100, Bartosz Stec wrote:
>
>> My backup script split filesystem dumps to files with size of 4,37 GB (4
>> 588 544 kB). It's just an optimal size to fill out DVDs. At this moment
>> I have to burn them from windows via smb-link becuase I didn't manage to
>> do this task from FreeBSD console due to 2GB/4GB filesize restrictions
>> (growisofs).
>>

> Since when did FreeBSD (or growisofs) have a 2GB/4GB filesize limit? I
> have burned 4.3GB DVDs several times.

Just look, here is example:

    fbsd# growisofs -Z /dev/cd0 -R -J -udf -iso-level 3 -dry-run somefile
    Executing 'mkisofs -R -J -udf -iso-level 3 somefile | builtin_dd
    of=/dev/pass0 obs=32k seek=0'
    mkisofs: Value too large to be stored in data type. File somefile is
    too large - ignoring

I'm not talking about restriction of DVD size, but restriction to
filesize wchich I want to place on DVD:

    fbsd# cat somefile | split -b 2G
    fbsd# rm somefile
    fbsd# ls -lh
    total 4590848
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  operator   2,0G  5 gru 09:18 xaa
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  operator   2,0G  5 gru 09:24 xab
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  operator   385M  5 gru 09:26 xac
    fbsd# growisofs -v -Z /dev/cd0 -R -J -udf -dry-run ./
    Executing 'mkisofs -v -R -J -udf ./ | builtin_dd of=/dev/pass0
    obs=32k seek=0'
    mkisofs 2.01 (i386-unknown-freebsd7.0)
    Scanning ./
    Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 0
    Done with: Initial Padblock                        Block(s)    16
    Writing:   Primary Volume Descriptor               Start Block 16
    Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor               Block(s)    1
    Writing:   Joliet Volume Descriptor                Start Block 17
    Done with: Joliet Volume Descriptor                Block(s)    1
    Writing:   End Volume Descriptor                   Start Block 18
    Done with: End Volume Descriptor                   Block(s)    1
    Writing:   UDF volume recognition area             Start Block 19
    Done with: UDF volume recognition area             Block(s)    3
    Writing:   Version block                           Start Block 22
    Done with: Version block                           Block(s)    1
    Writing:   UDF pad to sector 32                    Start Block 23
    Done with: UDF pad to sector 32                    Block(s)    9
    Writing:   UDF main seq                            Start Block 32

When I split that file there are no errors and DVD is 4,3GB size.

--
Bartosz Stec