Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does chsh not support PAM?

Hey all,

At the day job, our systems are Kerberized.  People log in with a
kerberized ssh client (which checks Kerberos internally, rather than via a
PAM module), or use GSSAPI-enabled ssh.

People get root via ksu.

Everyone has a "*" as their password entry in /etc/master.passwd

All this stuff is in -BASE.

Here's my question: Why have we not PAM-ified chsh yet?  Such that a user
can change their shell or GECOS information using only their kerberos
password.

How hard would this be to implement, rather than adding a hardcoded check
against the password file in programs like chsh?

-Dan