Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:21:02 +0100
From:      "Didier Wiroth" <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   how to use ndc when running in bind in a sandbox

Hey,
(i'm new to freebsd +/- a few month)
 I'm experimenting with freebsd and I have setup bind running in a sandbox
and followed the exact step mentionned here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dns.html
Section 19.10.8 Running named in a Sandbox

1) I've created the same /etc/namedb/etc/named.conf like mentionned there
and also created the following two steps:

Symlink /var/run/ndc to /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc:
# ln -sf /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc /var/run/ndc
Note: This simply avoids having to specify the -c option to ndc(8) every
time you run it. Since the contents of /var/run are deleted on boot, if this
is something that you find useful you may wish to add this command to root's
crontab, making use of the @reboot option. See crontab(5) for more
information regarding this.

2) And also added the following lines to the named.conf:
controls {
            unix "/var/run/ndc" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
};

Here is some info + the output of ndc! Every command is runned as "root"!

dns# ll
total 2
-rw-r--r--  1 bind  bind   4 Dec 30 11:39 named.pid
srw-------  1 root  wheel  0 Dec 30 11:39 ndc
dns# pwd
/etc/namedb/var/run
dns# ndc reload
ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

What am I missing? What do I have to modify to be able to use ndc?

Thanks a lot
Didier