Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:42:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MATH_EMULATE on 486SX

I have reproduced the behaviour described in
<3693366C.12CBFA8E@ktinet.com.tw> (on
freebsd-questions) on 3.0-RELEASE.

The MATH_EMULATE option is present (without it
 the kernel panics right after npx0) and we get:

npx0 on motherboard
npx0: 387 emulator
changing root device ...

and so on.

The system boots, but fsck, ping, X server and
some other tools abort at some point with signal 10.
However, one can log in and spawn a shell.

A quick backtrack on fsck compiled with -g
shows that it core dumps on the line (main.c:271):

   printf("(%d frags, %d blocks, %.1f%% fragmentation)\n",

And the last output from fsck was:

/dev/rwd0s1e: 5355 files, 89173 used, 64610 free

It segfaults on printf("%f") -- so the error is in the
floating point code, presumably in FP emulation.

The same configuration (I am just removing hdd) works
on 486DX fine.

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>