Skip site navigation (1)Skip section navigation (2)
Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2012 19:09:07 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk (Leslie Jensen)
Message-ID:  <BLU0-SMTP2000A2F18699724EBB86133F6670@phx.gbl>
In-Reply-To: <mailman.71.1351857602.2182.freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
References:  <mailman.71.1351857602.2182.freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

Next in thread | Previous in thread | Raw E-Mail | Index | Archive | Help
> That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
> retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as
> recent as I would have liked.
>
> Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
> partition?

I trust that you by now have discovered that your trust was never breached
by Microsoft (for once). Microsoft firmly believes that Windows is the only
OS that should reside on a PC's disk. Therefore running chkdsk with force
was only an invitation to Microsoft to run amok.

BTW, the reason I replied to this message was not to provide you with a
solution but with a trivial yet good bit of precaution I use on my own
dual-boot PC, wherein ad4s1 is NTFS/Windows and ad4s2 is my FreeBSD slice.
Right after installation of FreeBSD, I ran :

dd if=/dev/ad4 of=ad4.512 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/ad4s2 of=ad4s2.512 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/ad4s2a of=ad4s2a.512 bs=512 count=1

No matter how Windows screws up the MBR or FreeBSD's slice, recovering from
the situation is simple enough.

Regards

Manish Jain
bourne.identity@hotmail.com

On 02-Nov-12 17:30, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> Send freebsd-questions mailing list submissions to
> 	freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	freebsd-questions-owner@freebsd.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of freebsd-questions digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk (Leslie Jensen)
>     2. Re: laptop with no BIOS? or BIOS reflash pain (Anton Shterenlikht)
>     3. Dell H710 and H310 Raid Controller (Omer Faruk SEN)
>     4. Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk (Warren Block)
>     5. Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my! (James Colannino)
>     6. Re: Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my! (James Colannino)
>     7. Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk (Leslie Jensen)
>     8. Re: Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my! (Polytropon)
>     9. lagg interface not created at reboot ( 9.0 ) (Frank Bonnet)
>    10. Re: lagg interface not created at reboot ( 9.0 ) (Damien Fleuriot)
>    11. Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk (Jerry)
>    12. Re: Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my! (Robert Bonomi)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:26:33 +0100
> From: Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk
> Message-ID: <50924049.1020400@eskk.nu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>
>
> I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.
>
> My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd
> slice with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).
>
> In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was supplied
> with the new disk.
>
> When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish because
> it needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.
>
> I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.
>
> Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd
> partition in a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.
>
> That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
> retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as
> recent as I would have liked.
>
> Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
> partition?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Leslie
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:27:21 GMT
> From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
> To: flashrom@flashrom.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
> 	vidwer@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: laptop with no BIOS? or BIOS reflash pain
> Message-ID:
> 	<201211011127.qA1BRLFZ010097@mech-cluster241.men.bris.ac.uk>
>
> 	Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:28:22 +0100
> 	Subject: Re: laptop with no BIOS? or BIOS reflash pain
> 	From: Idwer Vollering <vidwer@gmail.com>
> 	To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, flashrom@flashrom.org
>
> 	Another approach is to use an external SPI programmer:
> 	http://flashrom.org/Supported_programmers
> 	The 'downside' of this is that you need to take your laptop apart.
>
> 	ODM schematics of your laptop are found here:
> 	http://notebookschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/6515b_6715s.png
> 	Downloads for BIOS updates:
> 	http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3356623&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3368539&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#120
> 	and ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55556.exe
>
> 	My guess (I am not a HP service technician) is that you need
> 	ROM.CAB/Rom.bin from sp55556.exe - you can use 7zip to extract Rom.bin
>
> This is probably way beyond my skills,
> but thanks anyway.
>
> Anton
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 19:46:45 +0200
> From: Omer Faruk SEN <omerfsen@gmail.com>
> To: FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
> Subject: Dell H710 and H310 Raid Controller
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAG+r6L-KDsZqNg4NUAK01XDdYoUdVJHUfdWUbyKcxvBO9o292g@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone in this list verify that both RAID controllers are supported on
> FreeBSD 8.3 or 9.1
>
> H710 has  LSISAS2208 dual-core PowerPC ROC
> H310 has LSISAS2008.
>
> I am planning to use these controllers on R420 and R320 Dell Servers. I
> would also like to get comments on these two platfoms and if there are any
> issues on FreeBSD 9.1 (I know it is RC2 right now)
>
> Regards.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:39:59 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
> To: Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk
> Message-ID: <alpine.BSF.2.00.1211012134300.31970@wonkity.com>
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>
>>
>> I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.
>>
>> My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd slice
>> with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).
>>
>> In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was supplied with
>> the new disk.
>>
>> When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish because it
>> needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.
>>
>> I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.
>>
>> Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd partition in
>> a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.
>>
>> That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
>> retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as recent as
>> I would have liked.
>>
>> Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
>> partition?
> If all it did was change the partition type, that should be easy to
> change back with gpart modify.  Untested example below, make a backup of
> the disk as it is right now first.  Clonezilla will make a (large)
> binary backup.
>
> # gpart modify -i2 -t !165 ada0
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:44:01 -0700
> From: James Colannino <crankycyclops@gmail.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my!
> Message-ID: <50934F91.4030701@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> So, I have a question.  I have Makefile.am, configure.in and a file
> called dstring.pc.in (for a library of mine called dstring) for a
> project.  It always built fine on Linux.  My home is now FreeBSD.  This
> is the first time I've tried to compile/install this library since
> moving away from Linux.  I'm able to use autotools on FreeBSD to
> generate configure and Makefile.in, and can use gmake to compile and
> install it.
>
> Unfortunately, the man pages are installed to /usr/local/share/man
> instead of to /usr/local/man, which I thought the tools would've taken
> care of.  Also, even though I see my library was successfully compiled
> and installed to /usr/local/lib, when I try to compile a program with
> gcc source.c -ldstring, I get:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldstring
>
> Other open source projects I've seen have installed fine on FreeBSD just
> with the simple configure --prefix=/usr/local && make && make install.
> I'm not sure what's wrong with my own setup.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing :)  Does anyone have a stab in
> the dark that might help me fix these things?  I can send any of the
> three files above if you need to see them.
>
> Thanks so much everyone!
>
> James
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:01:16 -0700
> From: James Colannino <crankycyclops@gmail.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my!
> Message-ID: <5093539C.8090406@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On 11/01/12 21:44, James Colannino wrote:
>> [...]I'm able to use autotools on FreeBSD to
>> generate configure and Makefile.in, and can use gmake to compile and
>> install it.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the man pages are installed to /usr/local/share/man
>> instead of to /usr/local/man, which I thought the tools would've taken
>> care of.  Also, even though I see my library was successfully compiled
>> and installed to /usr/local/lib, when I try to compile a program with
>> gcc source.c -ldstring, I get:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldstring
> Update: I can compile against my dstring library by using the following
> line:
> gcc source.c -L/usr/local/lib -ldstring.  I guess it didn't know to
> search /usr/local/lib.  Still having trouble figuring out how to install
> the man pages properly, though :(
>
> James
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 09:50:12 +0100
> From: Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
> To: Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk
> Message-ID: <50938944.5040709@eskk.nu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>
>
> 2012-11-02 04:39, Warren Block skrev:
>> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.
>>>
>>> My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd
>>> slice with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).
>>>
>>> In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was supplied
>>> with the new disk.
>>>
>>> When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish
>>> because it needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.
>>>
>>> I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.
>>>
>>> Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd
>>> partition in a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.
>>>
>>> That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
>>> retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as
>>> recent as I would have liked.
>>>
>>> Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
>>> partition?
>> If all it did was change the partition type, that should be easy to
>> change back with gpart modify.  Untested example below, make a backup of
>> the disk as it is right now first.  Clonezilla will make a (large)
>> binary backup.
>>
>> # gpart modify -i2 -t !165 ada0
>> _______________________________________________
>> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
>
> I use sysinstall and fdisk to find the disk, and I get
>
>
> Offset   Size(ST)      End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags
>
>      0         63         62        -     12     unused        0
>           63     256977     257039   ad12s1      4    unknown       22
>       257040  163702350  163959389   ad12s2      4 NTFS/HPFS/QNX        7
>    163959390  812813778  976773167   ad12s3      4 NTFS/HPFS/QNX        7
>
>
> It's ad12s3 that's my freebsd slice
>
> gpart show ad12s3 returns
>
> gpart: No such geom: ad12s3
>
>
> How do I proceed?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Leslie
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 10:49:08 +0100
> From: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
> To: James Colannino <crankycyclops@gmail.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Autotools, libraries and man pages: oh my!
> Message-ID: <20121102104908.59073016.freebsd@edvax.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
>
> On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:01:16 -0700, James Colannino wrote:
>> On 11/01/12 21:44, James Colannino wrote:
>>> [...]I'm able to use autotools on FreeBSD to
>>> generate configure and Makefile.in, and can use gmake to compile and
>>> install it.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the man pages are installed to /usr/local/share/man
>>> instead of to /usr/local/man, which I thought the tools would've taken
>>> care of.  Also, even though I see my library was successfully compiled
>>> and installed to /usr/local/lib, when I try to compile a program with
>>> gcc source.c -ldstring, I get:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldstring
>> Update: I can compile against my dstring library by using the following
>> line:
>> gcc source.c -L/usr/local/lib -ldstring.  I guess it didn't know to
>> search /usr/local/lib.  Still having trouble figuring out how to install
>> the man pages properly, though :(
> The easiest way to do it is to have a look at the porter's
> handbook (part of the FreeBSD documentation) and use the
> predefined target locations for the generated components.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
>
> However, I always thought /usr/local/lib would be one of
> the default search paths for ld, so -l<library> for any
> library residing there should be fine - except of course
> you override default options of cc...
>
> For your project, you could create a Makefile containing
> the required CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, define a rule for building
> the target and then just use "make".
>
>
>
>




Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?BLU0-SMTP2000A2F18699724EBB86133F6670>