Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2018 13:14:49 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Visual Studio Code on FreeBSD / port request

On 06/04/18 06:51, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Does somebody successfully run Visual Studio Code on FreeBSD?
> https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode
> I know my friends are running it on Ubuntu but I didn't found any
> references how to run it on FreeBSD desktop.

This function, for example, would fail for freebsd:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/blob/master/src/paths.js#L11 It is
likely to be one among many others.

No, npm-based projects can't be ported to FreeBSD. They download a lot
of things under the hood, that can't be fingerprinted.

Last time I tried, node projects are hit or miss: they depend on a lot
of other projects that can be automatically updated any time. It might
work one day, and not work the next day. It's also very insecure to run
an unvetted code direct off of github. Somebody might add a rimraf('*')
call as a matter of a mistake or a joke, and all your files will be
eliminated, and you will never know who did it. npm/node is certainly a
very volatile and insecure technology.

Yuri