Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:16:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Click on to meet someone you Click with

Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx> wrote:
 > On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 11:54:55AM -0500, Chris Byrnes wrote:
 > > Perhaps it's time to make the mailing lists moderated, or unpostable
 > > unless you're subscribed?
 >
 > Yes, I see more crap. And I agree we should make the list unpostable to
 > those who aren't subscribed.

NO!  I'm not subscribed (I'm reading the list via a news
gateway, because this is much more convenient), but I'd
still like to be able to post to it.

I guess there are quite a lot of people who are receiving
the list to a different address than the one they're using
for sending mail.

 > Being a young, firey student with time to kill, I usually send harsh
 > letters back, occassionally with large binary attachments.

Very bad idea.  In most cases you'll hit the wrong one.
And even if your "mailbomb" reaches the original spammer,
then it'll just be a confirmation for him that your email
address actually works, and he'll continue to spam it and
even sell the address to other spammers.  Known-to-work
addresses are valuable for those folks.

The best thing is simply to ignore that stuff, and use
filters.  A pretty good idea is to silently drop all mails
that don't contain any of your valid email addresses in the
header (To, Cc, Bcc) and which come from none of the lists
that you're subscribed to.  Since most spam is send in
large batches, it is not individually addressed, so it
doesn't contain real recipient addresses in the header.

Unfortunately, all of that doesn't really help against spam
in mailing lists.  Listserv (www.lsoft.com) is pretty good
at identifying and suppressing spam postings, but Majordomo
isn't that clever and sophisticated.  I'm afraid that
freebsd.org is using Majordomo.

Regards
   Oliver