Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:50:28 -0500
From:      Hyung-song Nam <nam@wi.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.3BETA, sound module problems

hi all,
I recently "cvsup'd (Mar 17-18) and made world" 4.3BETA. While I was
using 4.2-STABLE, I used to compile my sound card (AWE64Gold) into
the kernel. As I had only rarely accessed the sound card from this
machine, I decided to give the modules a try. Bottom line is, it
doesn't work. What I did, and the error messages I get follow:

-Remove pcm and sbc from /sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL
-Compile new kernel and modules. Completes without any major errors.

-Load sound modules during bootup with the following statements in
/boot/loader.conf:
snd_pcm_load="YES"
snd_sbc_load="YES"

-Reboot

-The modules seem to load OK. Here's an excerpt from 'dmesg':
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc035a000.
Preloaded elf module "vinum.ko" at 0xc035a09c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc035a13c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_sbc.ko" at 0xc035a1dc.

-The card (PnP by the way) seems to initialize OK. Here's another
excerpt from 'dmesg':
sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64 Gold> at port
0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5
  drq 1,5 on isa0

-The modules are still there after bootup. kldstat shows this:
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
  1    4 0xc0100000 17d7f8   kernel
  2    1 0xc027e000 c4ae0    vinum.ko
  3    1 0xc0343000 116e8    snd_pcm.ko
  4    1 0xc0355000 3d94     snd_sbc.ko

-Just to make sure, I delete all audio devices and remake them like
this, cd /etc; sh MAKEDEV snd0

-Now, the moment of truth. 'cat /dev/sndstat' shows this:
cat: /dev/sndstat: Device not configured

-aumix shows this:
aumix:  error opening mixer

I can't figure it out. I've RTFM'd all I can find, man 4 pcm, sbc,
etc etc etc. I find no useful info regarding using sound card drivers
as modules. The drivers might work if I compile them, but that would
defeat the purpose of having them as modules in the first place.
Could anybody offer assistance? Thanks!!!
--

   Hyung-song Nam / nam@wi.mit.edu
   Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research