Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:16:52 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB scanner not attached when connected after system startup]

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:07:12PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:

> 1. usbd is really running all the time (usbd_enable="YES" being in rc.conf)
> 2. using the default usbd.conf, which I studied only recently to find out what could be missing.
> 3. added the following lines to it for testing:
> device "Perfection 1650 scanner"
>         devname "uscanner[0-9]+"
>         attach "sane-find-scanner -q"
>         detach "sane-find-scanner -q"
>
> I still haven't got a clue of what other command could be useful here.
> I think Ialso understood that the proper attachment/detachment
> function of usbd has nothing to do with those commands. Right or
> wrong?
[...]

Do not add anything in /etc/usbd.conf, use the file you can find in
/usr/share/examples/etc/usbd.conf

Then follow
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/scanners.html
that section was written with many scanners for testing purposes, and
one of them was a Perfection 1650...

Marc