Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 14:19:28 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Identd problems

Greeting again folks.

I have one good question about inetd and who rather entirely simple
question about installing optional packages on FreeBSD.

Here's the story... I have just installed tcp_wrappers on a Linux
system that I have on one machine on my local network and I was
trying it out from the FreeBSD system on my network.  I had enabled
the option in tcp_wrappers that causes it to always try to get the
identd info from the remote host.

I also uncommented the `ident' line in the /etc/inetd.conf file on the
FreeBSD system.

Well, when I tried to rlogin from the FreeBSD system to the Linux system,
the result was a veritable torrent of what I assume were syslog messages
spewing out on the console.  I finally had to reboot the FreeBSD box to
make these stop.

It seems that I failed to actually have the executable for the identd
program installed on the FreeBSD box, and that's probably what caused
this problem.

But I don't understand why these messages seemed to just keep going and
going.  Shouldn't the inetd daemon just give up after a short while if
it doesn't find the necessary executable to invoke?

Separately, can someone please just tell me how one goes about installing
optional packages (e.g. the identd package) on FreeBSD after you have done
the basic OS install already?  Sorry.  I know this is a dumb question, but
sadly, I only bought the FreeBSD CD-ROM and not the book, and I don't really
feel like spending an hour or more trying to scrounge this one bit of info
from the www.freebsd.org web site.  (It seems like everyone uses different
package install tools, and of course, everyone names them differently too.
Even different flavors of Linux have different package installer tools!
Grumble, grumble.)

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/