Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:59:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tuning for WWW performance...

Howdy,

I was just reading through the FAQ's and archives, and I came up with some
conflicting info; some people were replying that the "MAXUSERS" option
will take care of mbuf allocation, max open files per user, and max
processes per user.  Then other folks were giving individual options such
as "NMBCLUSTERS=4096", "CHILD_MAX= ", "OPEN_MAX= "...  Which is correct?
And if MAXUSERS can do all of this, what is the formula it uses to
generate the other values?

>From what I can tell, it looks like the following requirements must be met
for a high-performance dedicated web server:

1.  Being able to have enough processes for all incoming requests
2.  Being able to have enough files open (4-ish/apache process for access,
error, browser, referer)
3.  Having enough buffer space for the sockets

If I can get some good answers on this, I'd love to throw together a page
for the FAQ titled "Optimizing FBSD for high-performance web serving" or
the like...  Then next time someone asks, everyone can say "Look at the
FAQ!"

Thanks,

Charles