Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:54:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Rajit Manohar <rajit@csl.cornell.edu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poink and freebsd

In message <199904191854.OAA02778@mozart.csl.cornell.edu> Rajit Manohar writes:
: about a minute, everything returned to normal (AFAIK).  I'd guess that
: a repeated-poink, or a poink of an nfs server would be a more serious
: problem.

Sounds like your typical "Let's claim to be someone else and confuse
everybody" DOS that has been well know since at least the late 80's,
if not before.  arp has no authentication in it, so short of hard
wiring the arp cache on all your machines, I don't think there is much
that can be done about this.  Even detecting that it is going on and
keeping the right address is going to be hard in the face of a more
demented attack from cards that allow one to set one's own NIC
address.

Warner