Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:51:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Julian A. Zottl" <zottl@pluto.ee.cua.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Hoon <hoon@pluto.ee.cua.edu>
Subject:   Re: inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low

On Monday, 23 November 1998 at 20:57:01 -0500, Julian A. Zottl wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Monday, 23 November 1998 at 20:13:47 -0500, Julian A. Zottl wrote:
>>> Thanks for the quick reply!  If I can help you out in any way, please let
>>> me know!  The configuration for the machine is as follows:
>>> P90
>>> 48MB RAM
>>> 64MB Swap
>>> 2940UW
>>> FreeBSD 3.0 RELEASE
>>> Runs apache web server and standard daemons, nothing special :)  I
>>> have been giving inetd HUPs when this happens, but sometimes a full
>>> reboot is in need.  Thanks for any help that you can give!
>>
>> A thought about your configuration: do you start httpd from inetd?
>
> The computer is used only as a web server.  Our actual users are on
> different servers (1 OSF Alpha, 2 RedHat and an old DEC Ultrix).  There
> are ~15 accounts on the server.  The web server gets ~300 hits/day.  One
> of the problems I had earlier today actually was actually the root files
> system filled up!  I took care of that though quickly and ordered another
> HD for the system.  I didn't notice the swap being used heavily, but I
> will check it out tomorrow.  I am starting Apache from inetd.

OK.  That's what I wanted to know.  This fits in with the fork
thesis.  If this happens frequently, could you please change your
config to start httpd manually, and see if the problem persists?  If
the problem happens less than once a week, it's probably not worth the
trouble.

Greg