Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:21:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sean Farley <scf@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_7 DVD drive access in AHCI/SATA mode

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Sean Farley wrote:
>> I have recently assembled a new system with a SATA DVD drive.
>> Unfortunately, it seems to not be supported FreeBSD 7:
>>
>> ata7: <ATA channel 5> on atapci0
>> ata7: SATA ATAPI devices not supported yet
>> ata7: [ITHREAD]
>
> This is (semi-) fixed in 8-Current (reports sata/300 as sata/150 on
> actual storage devices)

That would we be good enough for me.

>> I am using software (BIOS) RAID on a P5K-E/WiFi (Intel P35 chipset)
>> board.  Sadly, the option to manually configure the DVD drive is only
>> available when in IDE mode.
>
> P35's in general have some issues.   For example I am still totally
> unable to see my PATA drives if I have SATA drive(s) installed.

I remember reading about that on various web sites, and that it effected
various OS's.  This is why I went with all SATA devices.

>> In the interim, is it possible to force the drive to IDE (really
>> UDMA) mode?  I tried a few attempts at the kernel source to force it
>> to UDMA33 at the point of the warning in ata-chipset.c, but these
>> resulted in panics.
>
> I have an old 7 patch if you want it.

Yes, I would.  Thank you.  Do you know if it will be MFC'd before
release?  I can see some frustration for people that try to install
FreeBSD 7 from a SATA DVD drive.

Sean
--
scf@FreeBSD.org