Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:34:58 -0000
From:      Gary <gv-list-freebsdquestions@mygirlfriday.info>
To:        Frederick <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Formatting an email for this list using vi

Hi Frederick,

--On Monday, November 17, 2003 09:58:00 AM +1100 Frederick Bowes
<fred@k1x.org> wrote:

> I have just started learning to use vi, and remember someone posting
> something a while ago about how to re-format an email reply to have proper
> 60 character width or something like that, does anyone remember how that
> is done?

Well, I use VIM instead of VI, it is an "enhanced version"

For automatic settings, set up a .vimrc file in your home dir.

Add in:

:set tw=74                 (to set your text width)

Or you can add this in manually on the VI command line after starting it.

Now to refomat an email, while preserving the > on previous quoted text,
type in ESC gqip

--
Gary