Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:23:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, tlambert@primenet.com, dick@tar.com, jplevyak@inktomi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockf and kernel threads

> > :Thats probably true however for delivery of an AST I don't thing that we
> > :need priviliged instructions --- I could be wrong.
> >
> >     Little things like, ohhhhh disabling interrupts.  Accessing the MMU
> >     registers, flushing the TLB, etc.....  believe me, ring 1 and ring 2
> >     is utterly useless for anything FreeBSD wants to run in supervisor mode.
>
> AST's could be simulated, but it is just more hair added to an already
> sufficient set of hair.

Let me state, categorically, and for the records, that I think that
system call completion functions are an architectural dead-end.

The point of an async call gate is to allow queueing of operations which
are later specifically waited on and/or for which a wait-any is
executed to reap their status.

They differ primarily from signals in that completion is an event
that modifies data rather than triggering procedural code, and an
explicit (potentially non-blocking, but *not* asynchronous) test
must be done to determine completion.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---