Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:13:33 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help plz

> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:17:26 +0200
> From: Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> At 19:03 26/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >1- in my local network, when i type named i see this:
> >   Aug 24 02:32:24 Zaid named[1149]: Zone "Zaid.Com" (file
> > s/db.Zaid):    No default TTL set using SOA minimum
> >   instead
> >   Aug 24 02:32:24 Zaid named[1149]: Zone "37.147.223.in-addr.arpa"
> >(file s/Zaid.rev): No default TTL set us
> >   ing SOA minimum instead
> >   why ?
>
> a bug in bind 8.2.2p5, put $TTL 86400 at the top of every zone file.

Not a bug, but an admission that overloading the SOA minimum TTL field
as both minimum and default was not a good idea. The $TTL parameter
"creates" a TTL of that value for each record not containing an
explicit TTL.

The SOA minimum TTL should be reduced to some fairly small value as it
will be used for the TTL on negative cache entries and you typically
don't want to cache these for very long.

I set the minimum TTL to 15 minutes and $TTL to 1D (1 day) which is
the same as $TTL 86400. (And the $TTL directive MUST be place before
the SOA record.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)