Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:54:47 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <alex@aspenworks.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: List of ports and descriptions ?

Well, I can make 3 suggestions.

1.  cd /usr/ports ; make readmes

That will make Readme.html files in each and every ports dir with links and
short descriptions.  You then only need to open the readme.html in
/usr/ports to work your way down.  But if memory serves me, that'll be
similar to the list that's provided by http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports

2.  There's also the good 'ol index file, which I wouldn't exactly call
"human readable", but it does contain all of that information.  Maybe you
can find a simple way to convert that file into a more usable format.

3. You could just go to the "alphabetical list of all ports" link at the
very bottom of http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/  it's a list of every single
port, with a short description, all on one page.

Hope this helps.

-Chris