Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:08:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>
To:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> wrote:
   On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

   > I'm a bit spaced out right now, but offhand I don't see why
   > ghostscript would be needed for converting anything (except
   > PDF) into postscript.  I suspect apsfilter only uses it for
   > printing postscript jobs on non-postscript printers, or for
   > doing clever manipulation of postscript (for page-counting,
   > perhaps).  I would be inclined to use something like netpbm
   > to get GIF images INTO postscript.  Not ghostscript.

   Were you aware that most of the netpbm things that go into postscript CALL
   ghostscript?  In fact, since you say you've been printing jpegs and gifs
   for a long time, go a look (a closer one) at the executeables you've been
   using.  How do they do it?

There is only one netpbm tool converting into postscript (pnmtops)
and it is not using ghostscript, it is close to trivial even without
any postscript support libs.

      _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se