Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 18:49:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@interface-business.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, handy@sag.space.lockheed.com
Subject:   Re: Tape question

> I once wrote:
>
> > This must be a problem with the Exabyte then.  It works fine for me,
> > with a Tandberg TDC4222, and a QIC-525 cartridge (QIC-150, of course,
> > doesn't work since it's fixed-length blocking).
>
> I've verified with this test program that it works on a DAT drive as
> well, with the ahc(4) driver in this case (and on 2.2-stable).

I'm *really* not trying to be contentious here, but I have to ask...

How did you verify that the BSD device driver was not padding records
on write?  AFAIK, the only way to do that is with a machine that you
know doesn't do it writing the test tapes.  Like a SunOS box.

That said, Sun is well known to rewrite proms for no good reason
(ie: Toshiba 3401B CDROMs and CDROMs as boot devices).  Maybe we
are both looking in the wrong place for the problem?  I've done
it before... 8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---