Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:13:41 +0200
From:      Clement Laforet <sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org>
To:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: patch for bsd.port.mk to use ${PORTSDIR}/MOVED

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:52:23 +0400
Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru> wrote:

> > It was primarily written to make a smooth migration from current 2
> > levels ports tree to a hypothetic 3 levels ports tree,
>
> Question 2 portmgr: is this planned? At least hypothetical :)

It has been discussed many times, about twice a year ;-)
And every time it's the same answer:
"ports tree is growing we need this, it would be great"

I don't know if it's planned, but I thought about it because I can't
sleep.
Keeping ports tree consistency, keeping categories backward compatibilty
for packages system during ports migration, and after that, switching to
news categories for packages can be one of the possible solutions. I
have made some test. and It seems to work.
The main migration may eat a lot of time (specially for orphaned ports)

regards,

clem