Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:27:05 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More Gnome 2.16/HAL issues

--=-APRFOXtX9871+OKW9Mub

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 09:13 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I continue to see very strange behavior involving HAL and disks in
> 2.16. All ports are current as of about 8 hours ago.
>=20
> I previously reported that HAL was not showing reasonable labels for
> some devices. Well, this has changes, but I'm not sure that it is for
> the better.
>=20
> To make this issue tractable, I need to describe my system's
> configuration a bit. It is a bit unusual and this my be the root of the
> problems.

Yes, it is.

>=20
> The system is my laptop, an IBM T43. IT has one fixed disk with 4
> slices:
>    Purpose	File Sys	Status
> 1. Windows	NTFS		not mounted in FreeBSD
> 2. IBM Recovery	FAT-32		not mounted by FreeBSD
> 3. FreeBSD	FFS		Partitioned
>   a. /		FFS		Mounted
>   b. swap	raw		Swap
>   c. Disk	FFS		not mounted by FreeBSD
>   d. /var	FFS		Mounted
>   e. /tmp	FFS		Mounted
>   f. /usr	FFS		Mounted
> 4. Scratch	FAT-32		Mounted

While this is helpful, it is not enough to understand your problem.  You
need to provide the information listed at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q19 .

>=20
> It also has a bay for a removable device which may be a hard drive or a
> CD/DVD. At this time, I am booting with a second hard drive with two
> slices. The first is an emergency OS partitioned like slice 3 on the
> main disk. The second is a scratch space with only the c (raw)
> partition.
>=20
> By default, nothing on this drive is mounted at boot. I often hot-swap
> it for the CD/DVD and need to have no mounted partitions on it when I
> detach it.
>=20
> Now, with HAL running, several partitions show up as mounted on
> /media. (Where did /media come from?)

Check CVS history and hier(7).

>=20
> The Windows partition is mounted with the label it was created with but
> which I changed in Windows. I have no ides where HAL finds "IBM_PRELOAD",
> but that is the name it gives it.

Volume labels are read directly from the disks using libvolume_id.  So
far, I have not seen one incorrect label on my systems.

>=20
> The sliced first slice on the removable disk has two partitions mounted:
> 'a' (root) and 'd' (var). Why only these two I don't know. Also, to "show=
s"
> the 'a' partition as "aux", the label on the 'f' partition???
>=20
> I am now totally confused as to what the heck is happening. Very little
> of it makes sense to me at all, but I suspect that fact that none of
> these "removable" hard drive partitions or slices is in fstab may have
> something to do with it.

When you provide your fstab, I'll be able to comment on this.

Joe

--=20

--=-APRFOXtX9871+OKW9Mub

--=-APRFOXtX9871+OKW9Mub--