Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2013 07:15:02 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System reboots ~3am during daily periodic 450.status-security run

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 00:27:18 +0000, dgmm wrote:
> On Sunday 01 December 2013 23:52:00 dgmm wrote:
> > My system reboots at 3am when /etc/periodic/daily/450.status-security
>
> I've now narrowed it down to:
>
> /etc/periodic/security/100.chksetuid
>
> ...but have no idea why it might a catastophic crash/reboot.

A wild guess: File system damage side effect that is being
triggered by something "non-obvious". To make sure this is
_not_ the case, reboot into SUM or via live media and perform
a forced (!) file system check. Note that just in case you
might think "but I run background fsck and preen, that should
be sufficient" - it's not; there are few things that only a
full, _normal_ file system check can detect and repair.

I'm mentioning this because similar situations have been
discussed on this list, and finally there was some strange
file system defect responsible...

But also make sure system power is good, and the system does
not become unstable when on load.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany