Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:18:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, tanimura@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESS1688 newpcm support, soundblaster panics at boot

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> I have an old, wheezing Dell Lattitude LM with an ESS1688 sound chip.
> (specs at http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/pespmmx/specs.htm)
>
> I have managed to get newpcm to find the 1688 via 'options PNPBIOS'
> and the following patch:

I've added this to my sources. I'll commit it after I get the rest
working.

> However, the machine now panics on boot in sbchan_init(), at line 821
> of sb.c with a page fault on access to virtual address 0x14:
>
> I strongly suspect that this is due to the fact that this card has
> only 1 dma channel.  I suspect the panic is caused by
> rman_get_start(sb->drq2) when sb->drq2 is null.
>
> Does newpcm even support simplex operations on soundblaster chips?  I
> ask because I simply could not get simplex operations to work on my
> wss cards, so I suspect that simplex operation is simply not well
> tested.

It is supposed to support simplex but that support has changed recently so
perhaps it broke. I already have a report that the ESS1888 is broken at
the moment and I will be fixing it as soon as I find a spare couple of
hours to tackle it (I have an ESS1888 in my miata).

> Can anybody who is more familiar with newpcm please point me in the
> right direction?

Not sure where to look yet. Something is probably passing a NULL channel.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com