Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 20:58:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland)
Cc:        robert@cyrus.watson.org, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?

Jim Shankland wrote:

| Of course, we already have a permissions system.  Why not:
|
| -rw-rw----   1 root   smtp    Feb 18 09:33 /protocols/inet/tcp/25
|
| Or is that just too weird?

That seems like a great idea, modulo the amount of work needed to
implement it. (do you want to extend that so that
/protocols/inet/tcp/10.2.23.45:25 allows you to control permissions on
a per IP address basis?  That might be too baroque for not enough
gain..)

--
He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of
officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.