Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:58:56 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick@megan.kiwi-computer.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   READ_CD various errors while ripping

Hello all.

I decided to rip my entire CD collection before I end up scratching every
disc I own...  Using Grip/cdparanoia/lame, things were working pretty well
until I hit a few snags..  One of my discs wouldn't read properly.  I took
it out and checked it for scratches-- couldn't find a thing.  I put the CD
aside to try later.  I finally got to "D" in my archives and I had three
similar failures in otherwise perfect-looking media.  The last one I tried
was freshly opened (I removed the plastic wrapper) and I received the
failure again, checked the disc-- not even a speck of dust.  I tried it in
all three of my optical drives--  here are the errors that are repeated
when trying to access different portions of the tracks (I only pasted one
per drive; each error is repeated for each attempt to read that track):

acd0: READ_CD - MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x02 ascq=0x00 error=0x04
acd1: READ_CD - MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x02 ascq=0x00 error=0x00
acd2: READ_CD - HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x09 ascq=0x01 error=0x00

Just FYI:

acd0: DVD-R <SONY DVD RW DW-U10A> at ata0-slave UDMA33
acd1: CD-RW <OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802> at ata1-master UDMA33
acd2: DVD-ROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 0122> at ata1-slave
	UDMA66

also, atacontrol(1) shows these drives still at those UDMA transfer rates.
They burn most of my discs just fine-- only a few it's having troubles with
(most often at the end of the last track, just prior to a data track, but
also twice at the start of the first track when there is no data track).
I'm assuming it might be an anomaly with the atapi driver.  I've tried the
following techniques on each drive (with the exact same results):

cdparanoia -d <device> -X <track#> <wavfile>
dagrab -d <device> -n 128 -f <wavfile> <track#>
dd if=<device>t<track#> of=<pcmfile> bs=2352

I have not tried ATAPI/CAM yet-- I try to reboot as seldom as possible, so
I might get around to it this month.  I am using 5.1-RELEASE.  Any help
would be appreciated.  A special thanks to Søren (sos) for getting
burncd(1) to work with DVD+RW media!

-- Rick C. Petty        Senior Software Engineer, KIWI Computer
rick@kiwi-computer.com            http://www.kiwi-computer.com/