Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:48:53 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        wlclarke@cats.ucsc.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USR modem setup

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995 wlclarke@cats.ucsc.edu wrote:

> but when i dial in, my modem does not answer.
>
> so i use tip cuaa1 to connect to my modem (at comm2) and type
> ATZ
> AT&C1&D2&W
>
> which should properly set up CD and DTS (right?).
>
> QUESTION1: how do i get out of tip and back to a # without a ctrl-alt-del ?

The command to get a modem to answer is ATS0=2 (where 2 is the number of
rings to wait before picking up.)

You should set your port speed to at least 38400 to use a 28.8kbs
modem..edit the ttyd1 line in your /etc/ttys file to read :-

ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   on  secure

You get out of tip with ~.

If your modem still does not answer it is prolly becuase it is
confilicting with your existing serial board - ensure it IS on com2, and
that nothing else is. Also check that it has an IRQ all to its self.
(usually IRQ3 for com2)

If you initilize the modem with AT&D0 instead of AT&D2 the modem should
answer wheather there is a conflict or not - it will however not hang up by
itself when the remote user closes the session at your end. (so this is
best used for trouble shooting only).

If you want to do dial back - it is best to get a modem with the
capability built in (much easier, and prolly more secure too !)

Anthony