Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 11:04:11 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

Randall Hopper stands accused of saying:

>      I'd leave it enabled in my kernel with a nifty picture if it would
> auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons login prompt.

Hmm, I don't actually think it should disappear with the login prompt;
it should stay there being pretty if the system isn't being dinked with.

Currently, I am leaning towards having it disappear on any keypress.

> The only bug/feature I've noticed with it so far is:
>
>   - If I start X with the splash on, works OK, but bringing down yields a
>     corrupted screen (guess it doesn't kick-in a redraw when switching
>     out of syscons mode)

Hmm, X _shouldn't_ work with the splash on, although I suspect that it
depends on your hardware.

>   - Simple pixel or palette animation support.  Not just because it'd look
>     cool, but because a splash screen should let the user know at a glance
>     that the machine isn't locked up.  Also makes the time it takes the
>     machine to boot-up seem shorter.

There's some provision for palette rotation already; the real problem is
just arranging for the rotation on a useful basis - the console driver
only runs when text is output, so colours would only shift during
character output (not a bad idea though).

>   - A MSW95 LOGO.SYS converter for lifting cool pre-built splash pages
>     of the net and flipping them into FreeBSD :-) (Slap me, I'm dreaming :-)

I'm sure they're just BMP images slapped on the back of an executable...

> Randall Hopper

Basically, I'm strapped for time (2 assignments and a 10min presentation
1000km away to complete in the next week, and then it's exam-cram time)
just now, but I'll bear this in mind next I get a chance to work on it.

Ta!