Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:55:28 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RTFM

Sorry for the delay in response, both my business and personal lives
have been rather hectic lately. :)

Frank Pawlak wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Thanks for your response.  At the risk of embarrassment due to my ignorance, I
> have to ask you to elaborate on a point you made.  The Linux Kernel was
> designed for 256 fd's, I am not clear on what this means.  Could you please
> define that in terms that a technically challenged person, me, could
> understand?

	The way file descriptors, commonly referred to as 'fd's', were
described to me I think is a good way to look at it.(I am vastly
oversimplifying here, but I think it will help).  The various processes
on a unix system need fd's to interact with users, each other, etc. Each
system has a fixed number of fd's, in freebsd this is determined at
kernel compile time. If you think of each fd as a single sheet in a
stack of paper, when you're out of paper the system can no longer
interact with new users/processes without 'recycling' some sheets.

	In many ways Linux was designed to be a desktop unix.... something to
play around with (again, oversimplifying). Therefore the system was hard
wired to use only 256 fd's. More than enough for a desktop machine, not
nearly enough for a serious server. There are kernel patches to increase
that number to 1024, however our experience with linux is that other
parts of the networking layer break down before the fd limit is reached.

> If I could beg on your good graces a bit more, I am also under the impression
> that the TCP/IP stack in Linux is inferior to that implemented in FreeBSD. Is
> there any substance to that or is it now a non-issue?

	I am not intimately familiar with how it is implemented, but I can
assure you that it's inferior based on our extensive testing.

I hope this is helpful to you,

Doug