Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:18:30 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Craig R <craigery13@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I wrote an NTLDR page that I would like evaluated

Craig R wrote:

> the URL is:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/craigery1326/usingntldr2.txt
>
> Please email me about comments/suggestions. I would like
> to see this doc make the handbook, but I won't mind if it doesn't.

There are a couple of things that I noticed. First is the history. Ntldr
has been around since the first version of NT. Your article gives the
impression, at least in my mind, that it is a Window 2000 thing. Someone
running NT-4 would probably go HUH? and move on. What you are doing
should also work with NT-4. I know of some systems running NT-3.x. I am
not sure if I think that they know what they are doing but they usually
have valid reasons. There are people running early versions of FreeBSD
2.x. With all of the security holes, I wonder about their reasons too.
It would probably work with NT-3.x just as well.

What you are doing is what I have done since I added FreeBSD to
multiboot Windows systems. I think I follwed some comments by Mark
Ovens. Some of these systems require deleting old version of Windows and
adding new versions. None of the other boot managers handle this
situation well. Installing a new version of NT will force adding the
NTLDR back. FreeBSD is equally ego-centric because regardless of what
you tell it to do, it will make its slice/partition the active one
during an install. I follow stable and life is simple because no changes
are required as you follow the upgrade path for these systems.

I think your setup only works if the FreeBSD boot is on the disk0. There
is a lot of thrashing that goes on if you install FreeBSD on disk1.
Because I have my system setup for communicating between OSes, I have a
Fat32 "C" drive. All of my OSes understand FAT32. There isn't any need
to create a copy of /boot/boot0 on a floppy but I think it is safer. I
have always loaded FreeBSD onto my disk0. There is a way to configure
boot0 but I have always chickened out and installed FreeBSD on my disk0.
When you install new versions of NT, it doesn't care and everything
works well at that point.

Kent

> Craig

Kent Stewart