Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:50:36 -0400
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   compactPCI

[Hope this is appropriate for -hackers.  I thought that compactPCI might be
too esoteric for -questions.]

Has anyone run FreeBSD on a compactPCI system?  I would like to build a box
with many boards in it, and compactPCI systems seem to be available with many
slots.

Are there CPU modules available that look enough like a regular PC that FreeBSD
would run?  Is there some way that compactPCI doesn't look to the software like
a "normal" PCI bus?  The compactPCI spec says it is electrically compatible
which would imply (to me) that it looks the same to the software as well.

thanks,
andrew