Date:      Fri, 6 May 2011 02:04:34 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does running ``# portupgrade -arRp '' prompt for options or updates everything without prompts?

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 05:50:28PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Dear all,
>=20
> I was running FreeBSD 8.1 and am in the process of updating it
> following advice in handbook:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>=20
> ran
> # freebsd-update fetch
> # freebsd-update install
>=20
> # portupgrade -af
>=20
> # freebsd-update -r 8.2-RELEASE upgrade
>=20
> then
>=20
> # freebsd-update install
>=20
> Tried to do this:
> # portupgrade -f ruby
> # rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
> # portupgrade -f ruby18-bdb
> # rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db /usr/ports/INDEX-*.db
> # portupgrade -af
>=20
> Did not work correctly[too many customizations] and Tried again
>=20
> # freebsd-update install
>=20
> and had nothing more to do :(
>=20
> I had many packages that need to be updated so I am running :
>=20
> # portupgrade -arRp
>=20
> will this prompt me for customizations?

Yes it will. I usually use the -C flag of portupgrade when I'm
updating ports. This flag prompts you with all the options screens
before it does the update. That way you're not left with the upgrade
hanging half way through whilst it waits for you to configure the
options.

As Polytropon says you can use the --batch flag if you know that you
don't want to change the default options.

>=20
> Thanks in advance/advice/suggestions.  I am taking the plunge a little
> further.  Before I just installed and left it alone :( [except for a
> few packages that I wanted and ran/installed via ports ], now I am
> trying to learn more and setup the firewall.  I set up the simple
> example setup by Polytropon and most is working.  My freebsd version
> has moved to FreeBSD 8.2
>=20
>=20
>=20
> [olivares@grullahighschool /usr/home/olivares]$ uname -a
> FreeBSD grullahighschool.rgccisd.org 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE
> #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011
> root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>=20
>=20