Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:15:29 -0400
From:      Brian McCann <bjmccann@gmail.com>
To:        Jay Hall <JHALL@socket.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Controllers/Drives renumbered

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Jay Hall <JHALL@socket.net> wrote:

> Earlier today, I installed a new HP SCSI (HP SmartArray 642)controller  and
> an HP Drive Array in my company's HP ML 350 G5. The system drive which had
> been da0 became da1 and the new controller became da0.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot rearrange the controllers in the system since one
> is PCI-X and one is PCI Express.  Is it possible to force FreeBSD 6.2 to
> detect the cards in a particular order so my drives are not renumbered.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jay

I had this problem myself...and I could not find a way to re-order the
cards.  So, I started using glabel to solve my problems.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=glabel&sektion=8 .  This obviously
may not solve your direct problem, but it solved mine since I then
mount,fsck,whatever /dev/ufs/systemRoot .

I hope this helps!
--Brian

--
Brian McCann

"I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
people waiting to abuse me."
               -- Bill Murray, "Ghostbusters"