Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 23:19:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Youse <cyouse@paradox.nexuslabs.com>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Obtaining the filename for a vnode

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Borja Marcos wrote:

> 	I see (kern_exec.c) I have the vnode of the process
> text, but, how can I obtain the filename for the vnode? Is there a
> routine in the kernel to do that?

Careful here:  the UNIX filesystem separates vnodes from directory
entries.  One can easily map a name in the filesystem to a v-node (via
namei() et al.) but was never designed to work the other way around.

Unlike most other operating systems (Windows NT, VMS, etc.) there is no
one-to-one correspondence between a file on disk and its associated names
in the filesystem.

Chuck