Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:20:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Jensen-Grey <seanj@speakeasy.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsuping and rebuilding, esp. ports

> >> I don't rebuild ports after cvsuping? why? I thought of making a small python
> >> script to go check /var/db/pkgs or some such and compare the version numbers
> >> there against what you have in ports for the same package. would be handy.
> >
> > There is actually a patch to pkg_version which scans all versions
> > installed and the most recent versions in /ports and builds a script you
> > cam modify and run to fetch and install any upgrades you would like.  Just
> > remember to read it first, hand-edit, and pkg_delete the ones you want to
> > replace first.  I can't remember where it is off hand.
>
> I think that option is in pkg_version by default now (e.g. recent
> -stable and -current presumably):
>
> root@magnesium:/usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/src-all# pkg_version -c | head
> #
> #  bash
> #  multiple versions (index has 1.14.7,2.03)
> #
> cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2
> make
> pkg_delete -f bash-2.03
> make install

Exactly what I was talking about! A perfect addendum to my weekly ports-sup cron
job.

pkg_version -c is a Good Thing. Thanks for bring it to my attention.

As mentioned before I think it owuld be nice if the OS were installed with the
ports mechanism.

BASE would be just enough to boot the system in single user mode (maybe)?

But thats for a different thread on a different day.

Thanks, Sean.