Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:38:38 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clash of Titans - Tale of two Morons

> I was really disappointed that FreeBSD never really bit the hard
> RT bullet, back when there was opportunity for it to do so.  When
> John Dyson went off on his "new kernel" crusade originally, the
> reason I didn't participate was that it wasn't going to support
> hard RT.  I just didn't really see the point, unless it was going
> to be able to do something that the current kernel could not, and
> lacking RT is the number one deficiency in FreeBSD, in my opinion.

My usual gripe is about system complexity (and FreeBSD is
only one of the things I complain about!).  FreeBSD seems far
too complex for the functionality it provides but I don't see
that changing significantly without a bottom up redesign.  I
assume that hard realtime is something one can't do in a very
complex system like FreeBSD except in a very limited sense so
there is no point in worrying about it until you have a tiny
kernel with a known bound on non-preemptability (how long you
block threads out).

But this can only happen if a small group of like-minded
people devote a bunch of time to it and *finish* the task
(just because it is fun to do).  Most people won't see a need
for such a redesign and it has to be done in a skunkworks
mode.

> The problem with FreeBSD is that a lot of the lower level code is
> not deterministic with regard to running time.  People will now
> argue endlessly about whether PC hardware can run Hard RT, I'm
> sure.

I believe you!  Way back when I have debugged a QNX based
Intel286 system that was used for speech synthesis where hard
realtime is a must -- IIRC the phonemes were fed by the s/w
to the sound card at the correct rate!

> You can do the same thing in FreeBSD, fairly trivially; I don't
> see how it's much different than portals; someone was complaining
> the other day about FreeBSD not having the Windows "control panel"
> feature, where you are not actually looking at a filesystem object,
> you are looking at a DLL loaded into your shell as a shell
> extension; I pointed out portals and got back "Oh.".  8-).

Can you do the equivalent of

# Create a tar file
$ cd /
$ tar cf /sys.tar sys

# mount the tar file
$ mount -t <foo> /my-sys sys.tar
$ cd /my-sys/i386
Makefile        conf            ibcs2           isa             pci
apm             i386            include         linux           svr4

You need the ability to deliver open/close/read/write/lseek
etc. calls to the portal object.  I didn't think you could do
that with portals.  A code sample that points me in the right
dir will be gratefully accepted.

If the tar image contains a special device I should be able
to use it as a special device!  I should be able to use this
fs via nfs or make it participate in filesystem overlays
(incorrectly called the `union' file system).  One should be
able to implement compressed or encrypted file systems as
well.

-- bakul