Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:54:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: allowing pings out from my firewall

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 09:27:10PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >

> > Sam Carleton wrote:

> > > traceroute?

> > > I was wrong, I (as root) just tried to ping something and I got the
> > > error
> > > message:
> > >
> > > ping: sendto: Permission denied
> > >
> > > After thinking about this for a moment, I realized that I believe this
> > > be a firewall issue.  I have the "simply" firewall running on this
> > > 4.0-STABLE
> > > machine and I think it is the firewall that is stopping ping from going
> > > out.  How
> > > do I modify the firewall to allow pings  and traceroute to get out?
> >
> > See the "Setting-up a Dual-Homed Host..." at
> > http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/. He has an example of
> > allowing ping and another for setting up traceroute. The traceroute
> > only permits 30 hop's.
>
> You know, you can always do traceroute(8) with TCP. You don't need the
> special UDP rules; the packets would pass most firewalls that allow
> outgoing TCP connections. Still need to let in the ICMP.

I started out with just ICMP and it didn't work. I added UDP and it
did. I just did a man traceroute and will have to try TCP. There are a
few things that aren't working the way I do things. I'm trying to
figure out who has to change. If I have to change, that is what I
think aliases were created for. At the same time, if I can cut a rule,
I will. I figure every rule you add slows things down a little bit.
I'll see how far I get tonight.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg