Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:59:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: optional 'make release' speed-up patch

John W. DeBoskey wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > Well, from the amount of mail I've received, I obviously do not
 > understand the numbers from my tests, or I've not optimized my
 > filesystems correctly.
 >
 > time rm -rf /snap
 >  3214.20s real     2.29s user    51.53s system     (53 minutes)
 >
 > time ./snapclean
 >    20.34s real     0.88s user     2.80s system     (20 seconds)

You should definitely use soft-updates.

I don't like the idea that the release makefile could perform
a newfs on some partition if some environment variable happens
to be set either...  I'd vote against the patch.

And _if_ the patch gets included, it should be made a bit more
sophisticated.  For example, it should check whether soft-
updates was enabled on the partition, and re-enable it after
the newfs.  Otherwise the whole make release could run slower
than without the patch...

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)