Date:      Wed, 6 May 2009 10:31:22 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@paulstewart.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping Updated

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Paul Stewart <paul@paulstewart.org> wrote:
<snip>
> I guess I'm kinda wondering the "condensed quick version" of what people =
are
> typically doing to keep their system updated from source without making l=
ife
> difficult ;) =C2=A0Yes, I've been reading through various things to get m=
yself
> updated to newer info but there's also a lot of stuff on the Internet bas=
ed
> on older info hence why I'm asking.

This is what I do.  I don't claim that it's perfect, nor that it's the
recommended way, but it works nicely, and provides some safety nets,
just in case.

For ports (requires the installation of portmaster and portaudit):

# portsnap fetch update
# portaudit -Fda > ~/ports-with-issues
# pkg_version -vl '<' > ~/ports-with-updates
# more /usr/ports/UPDATING

If there's anything in ports-with-issues, then look if there's an
update in ports-with-updates.  If there's anything in
ports-with-updates that *needs* to be updated (security fix, bug fix,
major feature needed, etc), then update only those ports:

# portmaster -bd [portname]

For source:

Subscribe to the freebsd security announcement mailing list.
Copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile to /etc/supfile.source
Edit /etc/supfile.source to set tag=3D to RELENG_X_Y where X_Y is the
version you want to upgrade to (7_2, for example).
Then, whenever a security announcement is made:

# csup /etc/supfile.source
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make KERNCONF=3DWHATEVER buildkernel
# make KERNCONF=3DWHATEVER KODIR=3D/boot/newkernel installkernel
# nextboot -k newkernel
# shutdown -r now

<if it comes back up without errors>
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# mergemaster -iU
# mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.bak
# mv /boot/newkernel /boot/kernel
# shutdown -r now

Using KODIR and nextboot allows you a safety net.  If the boot using
/boot/newkernel fails, a simple reboot will bring it back up with
/boot/kernel (the old, working kernel).

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com