Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:45:22 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: performance / /usr/src/UPDATING

Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> In /usr/src/UPDATING I read that -current is always compiled
> withlots of debugging flags on etc.
>
> Can this be switched off with a single switch in the Makefile?

Not a single switch, but there isn't a whole lot to do.  Mainly, you
want to turn the J malloc option off by doing

# ln -fs j /etc/malloc.conf

This should improve userland performance quite a bit, and you don't
even need to rebuild - it takes effect immediately (for programs
started after the change).

As for the kernel, assuming your config is based on GENERIC, you'll
want to remove (or comment out) the WITNESS options, and possibly also
the INVARIANTS options.  Note that if you do get in trouble, the lack
of these (especially INVARIANTS) will make debugging much harder.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org