Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 07:49:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What can you do with device uk0?

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Donald Burr wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Dave Walton wrote:
>
> > I've got a Fujitsu DynaMO 230 drive that is only recognized as device
> > uk0.  The most productive interaction I have had with it is
> > generating the famous "Device not configured" message.  What, if anything,
> > can be done with/to such a device that is even marginally useful?
>
> If a peripheral has been assigned to the 'uk0' device, that means that it
> is unsupported by any of the standard SCSI drivers (for disks, CD-ROMs,
> tapes, etc.)  The only operations that can be done on uk0 devices are the
> standard SCSI ioctl's.

If you'll excuse my ignorance of really low-level stuff like this, what
are the standard SCSI ioctl's, and what can you do with them?  Are there
any programs in 2.1R that use them to let you fiddle with a device?

> If you want to get this device working under FreeBSD, you'll have to write
> a driver for it. :(

Ouch.
Just in case I get crazy, what's a good file to look in for a driver that
might not be too hard to modify for this purpose?

Dave

David Walton                                     Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503