Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:54:28 GMT
From:      dtynan@kalopa.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem booting a Compaq Proliant 1600.

I've tried researching this on google and playing around
with various things myself to no avail.  I should probably
submit this as a bug report, but I'm not sure it is...

I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server.  It's a large box
with four SCSI disks, and (I believe) three controllers.
It's a beast.  It's currently running 4.3-STABLE quite
nicely, but I've been trying to upgrade it to 4.9, 4.10
or 5.3 to no avail.  I've tried from CDs and from source.

The problem is that when I boot the new kernel, everything
looks OK (it's hard to see the dmesg before it scrolls off
during boot).  However, when it gets to the "Waiting 15
seconds for SCSI devices to settle, it then prompts me for
the name of the root filesystem device.  Usually, all my
disks are mounted under sym0, sym1 or sym2.  I see all
three devices during the boot but they're not available
when I hit '?' in the menu that asks the name of the
root FS device.  When I boot the 4.3-STABLE kernel, I
get the following (normal) operation:

Mounting root from ufs:da0s1a
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <COMPAQ HB00931B93 A195> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
Enabled
da0: 8678MB (17773500 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1106C)

and so on.  As a minor quibble, I need to type '2:da(0,a)' at
the boot prompt due to some confusion between what the BIOS
thinks is device0 and what the kernel thinks is device0 but
that's not a big deal, it just prevents auto-booting.  Not
sure if that makes any difference.  Does anyone have any ideas?
                                        - Der
--
Dermot Tynan
Kalopa Media Limited